Wednesday 20 July 2011

Hummus






We nearly always have Hummus in our fridge, the shop bought variety, I mean. I thought this seemed a little silly considering how easy it is to make. So last week I popped out to the health food shop and picked up some Tahini paste (which is super cheap for the amount of Hummus you get from it) and made my own.

You Will Need:


1 200g can of hickpeas (drained)
1 lemon
1-2 garlic cloves (crushed)
Salt
1tsp ground Cumin
1tsp paprika
100ml of Tahini paste
4tbsp water
1tsp Olive oil

This makes plain Hummus, but I also decided to make sun dried tomato. For this you will need:

1 jar of sun dried tomato's
1tbsp tomato puree

The Cooking Bit


*Pop most of the chickpeas (leave a few for serving), spices (minus the paprika), juice of one lemon, salt, water, olive oil, garlic and Tahini in a large bowl and give it a good stir.
*Next blend it all together using either a hand held blender, or a mixer.
*I like my Hummus with some texture so I didn't blend it until it was totally smooth, but it really is up to you.
*Give it a taste to see if you want to add more garlic, lemon or cumin.
*Put the Hummus into a serving dish and pop the remaining chickpeas and paprika on the top to serve.

This is original Hummus all done, for the sun dried tomato...

*Once you have your Hummus mix, chop up some sun dried tomatoes I put a fair few in, but use as many as you like.
*Next add the tomato puree and blend it a little more. I also added a little of the oil from the sun dried tomato jar, just to give it some extra flavour.
*Spoon it into a serving dish and pop the remaining sun dried tomatoes on the top. All done.

We had ours with toasted Pitta, cous cous, and salad. NOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...